Forum

Throw away ticket needed with balikbayan visa?  

RSS

Cordillera Cowboy
(@cordillera-cowboy)
10/07/2018 9:48 am  

Hello,

I will be leaving the Philippines for a 2 week trip soon.  I am on the balikbayan visa.  Will I need a throw away ticket for my return trip?

Thanks,

Pete

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
10/07/2018 9:55 am  

HI Pete,

A couple things to keep in mind.

Remember that a Balikbayan Visa is no longer valid when you leave the country, even if there is still time left on it. When you reenter you will need a different visa, even if it is a Balikbayan again, it will be a brand new Balikbayan Visa.

Also, remember that when you re-enter your wife must be with you when you come in, or you will not be eligible for another Balikbayan Visa.

Now, to your question. An ongoing ticket is not required for those on a Balikbayan Visa. But, the problem is that the immigration policies are enforced by airlines. They are the people who decide if you are within the regulations. This is the case because the airlines are responsible to bring you home at their cost if you are not admitted. Problem is that most of the airline personnel do not understand that a balikbayan visa does not require an ongoing ticket. You may have to strongly argue the point, but still may not be allowed to board.

If you run into problems ask to speak with a supervisor (who still may not understand the law).

As a precaution, you could spend $50 or less and have a throwaway ticket and then you have no worries.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Cordillera Cowboy
(@cordillera-cowboy)
10/07/2018 10:58 am  

Thanks Bob!

That's pretty much the way I understood things.  I just wanted to make sure.  I'll hit you up soon for a throw away ticket.

Thanks,

Pete

ReplyQuote
Steve W
(@steve-w)
10/07/2018 10:34 pm  

Almost all my many visits to the Phils have been via balikbayan privilege. I always purchase round trip tickets starting in the USA, since one way tickets aren't that much cheaper than round trip. I've never considered the throw away alternative. The airlines have never been a problem.

ReplyQuote
Alex Mooney
(@alex)
Active Member Admin
11/07/2018 8:38 am  
Posted by: Steve W

Almost all my many visits to the Phils have been via balikbayan privilege. I always purchase round trip tickets starting in the USA, since one way tickets aren't that much cheaper than round trip. I've never considered the throw away alternative. The airlines have never been a problem.

I've kinda had a different experience. I usually never use the round trip part of my tickets so it's always an extra expense when forced to buy the return trip. You can definitely find really cheap tickets at around $400 one way during the right seasons. I didn't like spending $700 or $800 on a round trip ticket when I could get an ongoing ticket for cheap but I'm sure there are other people who use the return ticket as well.

ReplyQuote
gsbernd
(@gsbernd)
01/09/2018 9:28 pm  

I am in the PH on a balikbayan visa.  So I understand if I leave for a weekend conference, when I return, I lose my balikbayan?  How then can I stay in the PH, since my pilipina wife is here and this is where we live?  I need to stay here about 5 months before we both will return to the USA for her USA citizenship work. Thanks 

Can I get a tourist visit when I return and renew that for 5 months?

ReplyQuote
Bob Martin
(@mindanaobob1)
Active Member Admin
02/09/2018 11:52 am  

The moment you leave the Philippines your Balikbayan is gone. You can get it again when you re-enter, provided that you meet the normal requirements for the Balikbayan. In your situation, it sounds like your best bet would be for you and your wife to leave the country and then re-enter. 

ReplyQuote
gsbernd
(@gsbernd)
02/09/2018 7:45 pm  

yes, seems easier than going to renew a visa several times over the next 5 months.  Hey bob where was that white beach seaside scene I saw on your facebook page? would like to visit...thanks

ReplyQuote
Bob Martin
(@mindanaobob1)
Active Member Admin
03/09/2018 7:39 am  

I already replied to you twice on FB, you might not have checked back there..

That is a stock photo. I don't know where they shot the photo.

ReplyQuote
Jack
 Jack
(@jack)
03/09/2018 9:43 am  
Posted by: gsbernd

I am in the PH on a balikbayan visa.  So I understand if I leave for a weekend conference, when I return, I lose my balikbayan?  How then can I stay in the PH, since my pilipina wife is here and this is where we live?  I need to stay here about 5 months before we both will return to the USA for her USA citizenship work. Thanks 

Can I get a tourist visit when I return and renew that for 5 months?

A good one happened to us 2 weeks ago, well not such a good one really, we were taking a trip home to Ireland but my wife's filipino passport was misplaced at the last minute, so no more time to look for it because we has to rush to the airport. When we got to terminal 1 in Manila the emigration advised us to go to the Philippine embassy to report it lost once we arrived at our destination and no charge because she was less than 1 year back in Philippines. Coming back, I thought it best to get her a throw away ticket to HK just in case. The ticket we had was from Manila-Doha-London-Cork return. Leaving Ireland was no problem they didn't ask for the ticket but once we got to London the next leg would not accept our explanation about her being a duel citizen etc so we showed the throw away and all was fine, board the flight. The same happened from Doha to Manila leg, she would not be allowed to board with the throw away so all was good. When we got to Manila she was given a 1 year visit visa and when the Philippine passport was found just to present it the next time leaving Philippines and all would be ok. So the reverse happened to us, I have a 13a visa so she got a Balikbayan.

Regards Jack

ReplyQuote
gsbernd
(@gsbernd)
03/09/2018 11:59 pm  

Thanks, been to fb several times, never saw it; appreciate the reply.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register